Credit portal




What Information Do I Need to File Form 1065 for a Partnership?

irs where to file form 1065

By Jean Murray. US Business Law / Taxes Expert

Jean Murray has the education and experience to help you become an expert in your small business, and to provide you with information about business legal and tax issues. With an MBA and a PhD in entrepreneurship, she brings almost 30 years of experience and knowledge to these important business subjects.

You can also read more about Jean's current and past work on her page.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a CPA or attorney, and nothing on this site in articles, emails, blog posts, or other communications is intended to be tax or legal advice. The purpose of this site is to provide general information to readers. No claim is made regarding the accuracy or legal status of information on this site. Federal, state, and local laws and regulations change, and every business situation is unique. Readers should not take action on any tax or legal matter without reviewing

options with a tax advisor or attorney.

Question: What Information Do I Need to File Form 1065 for a Partnership?

A partnership pays income tax through the returns of its partners, allocating share of income or loss to each partner according to the terms of the partnership agreement .

Continue Reading Below

The partnership files an information return on Form 1065. then gives each partner Schedule K-1 showing his or her share of income/loss for the year.

Preparing Form 1065 and Schedule K-1 forms

The process for preparing Form 1065 and Schedule K-1 forms is complicated, and you should have a competent tax preparer complete the form. But you can save time and money by gathering information to make preparation easier.

Information about the partnership, including the Employer ID number. business code (NAICS code). and the date the partnership was started.

If you sell products, information to calculate cost of goods sold

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: