Credit portal




Newly married, How to file tax return for 2012.

newly married how to file taxes

Atlanta, GA | May 10, 2012 4:09pm

I was married in early 2012. I was a single parent filing Head of Household. My husband owes approximately 30k in back child support payments. I want to know how file to for next year in order to prevent my tax refund (if any) being possibly garnished due to his debt. This is so confusing! Thanks!

You have only two choices now-married filing jointly or married filing separately. Filing MFJ often results in less taxes due, but it exposes you to his tax liability. MFS protects you in this regard and is the option that would seem to protect you here.

Steven J. Fromm


Contributor Level 20 Answered less than a minute ago. You really need to have a face to face meeting with a tax/estates attorney to get a conclusive answer. Get all your paperwork together and meet immediately.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is his website is and his blog is <> Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/

client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: