Credit portal




Claiming Tax Back

if you have left / are leaving the UK

If you have worked and been resident in the UK and have left to live somewhere else during the last four tax years, you may be able to claim back some or all of the tax you have paid.

To find out more about left / leaving UK tax relief please follow the links below:

When Am I Entitled to Leaving the UK Tax Back?

You may be able to claim leaving the UK tax back if any of the following apply:

  1. Your tax code is or was incorrect
  2. You did not use all your tax free allowance during the tax year in which you left the UK
  3. You have not reclaimed all the expenses for which you are eligible. These may include professional fees, the cost of tools and equipment for work purposes, business mileage, or laundry costs for uniforms
  4. There are many other reasons why you may be entitled tax back when leaving the UK and it is worth checking what you may be entitled too

How Much UK Tax Back Can I Receive?

You may be due several hundred pounds, or more depending on your circumstances. If you are eligible to claim leaving the UK tax back the amount will depend on your income and how much tax you have paid. All sources of income are taken into account, including earnings, interest on savings and investments, money from rental properties, and benefits.

To help you find out how much tax back when leaving the UK you can claim, you can use the FREE UK Tax Back Calculator >>

Do I need to complete Tax Claim Forms when leaving the UK?

When you leave the UK to live elsewhere, you should fill in a P85 form. This form should be sent to HMRC, who will issue a tax refund if one is due.

The P85 form contains information concerning your employment in the UK and elsewhere, and the date that you leave the UK.В

Do I need any other forms?


many cases you will need to submit a P45, P60 or P11d certificates alongside your P85 form when leaving the UK. These certificates allow HMRC to calculate any leaving the UK tax rebate you may be due, accurately and quickly.

  1. It is important that your final P45 form is included, if this applies to you. Your P45 is provided by your employer when you finish work. If for some reason you are unable to obtain a P45, you should ask your most recent employer(s) for a statement of earnings.
  2. Your P60 certificate gives details of the tax you have paid. You should include this with your P85 form.
  3. The P11d certificate gives details of various benefits and expenses that you may receive from your employer. You usually only need a P11d form if these benefits and expenses have a cash value of over ВЈ8,500.

Do I need to complete a Self Assessment Tax Return?

When leaving the UK each application for a tax rebate will be considered separately. HMRC will look at your personal circumstances to determine if you are due a tax refund.

It may be necessary for you to complete a Self Assessment tax return when you leave the UK. If so, you will be contacted by HRMC after you have submitted your P85. If a Self Assessment tax return is requested, you will not receive any refund until this is completed.

You are likely to be asked to complete a Self Assessment tax return if you are self-employed, or if you receive money from other forms of income such as rental properties in the UK. You may also be asked to complete a Self Assessment tax return in some other circumstances.

To find out how much UK Tax Back you could claim, use the Free

For More Information See. is here to provide you with FREE independent tax information to help you save money and pay the right amount of tax. does not provide tax advice and the information provided is to help give people a better understanding and does not constitute tax advice.

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: