How to Start a Blog – How to Create a Website
Want to learn how to start a blog ? You are in the right place! Welcome to Website Beginner . your premiere source for learning how to create a website using free blog software. This article contains a free tutorial showing you all of the necessary steps. No previous web design experience or programming are required!
Why Start a Blog?
There are lots of great reasons for starting a blog. First of all, blogging provides an excellent way to develop and practice your writing skills. There’s no need to wait for a publishing company to publish your content. You can start publishing your own content today!
Blogging is a great way to promote your business or your profession. Own a catering company? A food blog could possibly connect you with potential clients and business partners. Operate a pet sitting service? Starting a blog about pet training tips could land you some new customers.
Know a lot about a particular subject? Share your information with the world by writing about the topic on your blog. Blogging is a great way to get connected with other people that share the same interests.
The most awesome reason to start a blog? A blog can lead to additional sources of income. If your blog becomes popular enough, you may even be able to quit your day job and blog for a living! Ready to start your blog? See the next section to see what you need to do.
How to Start a Blog
In this tutorial, I will show you how to start a blog from scratch. No web design experience or programming are required. Here’s what you will do to create your website:
- Choose a Topic to Write About : The first step is to choose what you will write about. I will give you some tips to help you decide.
- Choose a Domain Name. The domain name the web address people will use to find your site on the web. The domain name is the name of your site, and very often, it is your website’s brand. I’ll give you some tips for choosing a great domain name.
- Set up the Web Hosting. Web Hosting is a service that makes your website available on the web. I’ll provide you the steps for set up the web hosting.
- Install the Blog Software. As I mentioned, no web design experience or programming are required. I will show you how to set up a website using free and powerful blogging software.
Choose a Topic to Write About
You may already have a topic or niche that you plan to write about. If not, here are some pointers on how to choose a blog topic:
- Choose a topic that you already have knowledge of, or are very interested in. If you are already an expert on the topic, this will add credibility to your content. If you are passionate about the subject, you will have an easier time expanding your knowledge about the topic, which will make it easier to write about it.
- Choose a topic that is current, popular, and/or cutting edge. This way you know people are currently searching for the content you plan to write.
- Blog about a topic related to your business or profession. Own a marketing business? Blog about trends in the marketing industry and connect with potential clients and partners. Are you a handyman? Blog about your own do-it-yourself projects to attract customers interested in the same projects. Are you a computer programmer? Demonstrate your expertise to potential employers by blogging about related technologies.
- Consider not choosing a topic that is obscure or obsolete. Know a lot about Sky Pagers? That’s great but this is probably not a great topic for a new blog.
- Consider not blogging about a topic that is already saturated. Creating a blog about iPhones is probably not a good idea unless you have a unique twist.
Choose a Domain Name
A domain name is the internet address of your website. It’s what people type into their browsers to visit your site. Your domain name is also displayed in search results when people search for the topics you write about. It’s important that you choose a good domain name as it can significantly help or hurt the chances of your blog’s success. Here are some quick tips on how to choose a domain name:
- The domain name should contain a few of your main keywords. For instance, if your site is about cooking, consider domain names such as GeorgiaHomeCooking.com or CookLikeBob.com.
- Preferably, the domain name should be catchy and easy to
remember. The domain CookLikeBob.com is likely better than RobertPMorrisCookingWebsiteForGuys.com
- Domain names should be easy to spell to make word-of-mouth marketing easier. Thus, CookLikeBob.com is better than Bobs365Recipes4u.com.
- The domain name should be unique to avoid confusion with other sites. Consider not using CookLikeBob.com if there is an existing CookLikeBobby.com website.
- Select a “.com” domain name where possible, as people tend to assume a domain ends in .com. Domain extensions “.net” and “.org” are fine as long as the “.com” version of your site is not a strong competitor. That is, don’t get CookLikeBob.net if the cooking site CookLikeBob.com already exists. Consider not using other domain extensions unless you really know what you are doing.
- Consider a domain name that can also be a good brand. The domain CookLikeBob.com easily conveys what the site is about, contains the keyword “cook”, and would be easy to remember.
Set up Domain Name and Web Hosting
Web Hosting is a service offered by Internet Service Providers (ISPs) that makes websites available on the Internet. In order for your new blog to be available on the web, you will need to 1) register a domain name and 2) set up web hosting. In the section below, I will show you the simple steps to set up your domain and hosting.
Step 1: Go to SiteGround.com
Click the “ Create My Blog ” link blog to start the domain and hosting set up process. You will be taken to SiteGround.com. I prefer SiteGround to other hosts as they always offer the best prices with no coupon required. They also offer specialized features and support for Worpress users.
Step 2: Select a Hosting Plan
SiteGround.com offers three different hosting plans. Feel free to select their cheapest plan, the “StartUp ” plan. This plan should suit most people starting a blog for the first time.
If you already plan to host multiple sites (one blog for you, one for your spouse, one for you business, etc.), or if you want
Note that I am currently using the “GrowBig ” plan for my Windows 8 Tablet Blog . I get around 2,500 unique visits per day on this site, thu
No matter what you choose, you can always upgrade or downgrade later.
Step 3: Select a Domain Name
Enter the domain name you would like to use and select the extension you want to use (.com. net, or .ord). To confirm your selection, press the “Proceed ” button. In the example below, I entered “BestWordpressHacks” and selected the “.com” extension.
If the domain name you chose is not available, you can select one of the available suggestions, or you can always try another domain name and/or extension.
Once you select an available domain, you will receive the “Congratulations” message below:
Step 4: Enter Contact and Billing Info
Enter your contact and billing information. Be certain to specify a valid email address . Your domain and web hosting information will be sent to it.
Step 4: Select Options
Before you submit your order, de-select all of the “Extra Services “. This will result in a huge savings as you do not need these optional services.
The “Domain Privacy ” service hides your personal contact information (name, address, and telephone number) from anyone that looks up your domain name. You can use this service if you want to keep your contact information private from everyone on the web. I typically skip this service. After I purchase the domain, I change the contact information to a P.O. box, a business address, or something else.
After you uncheck all of the extras, you should see the low price below:
If you don’t want to pay for an entire year of hosting, you can change the period to one month. Note that a setup fee is then included to cover the cost of the Domain Name.
Step 5: Submit Order
Once you complete all of the selections above, click the submit button to complete your purchase.
You should then get a confirmation message. Also, you should receive a confirmation email within a few minutes (see below):
STEP 6: Install WordPress
Now that you have set up your domain name and web hosting, the next step is to install the WordPress Blog software. To process, click the “ How to Install WordPress on SiteGround ” link below:
What Do You Think so far?Source: websitebeginner.com