Credit portal




Tips when renting an apartment

tips when renting an apartment

Printer Friendly

Send to Friend

Renting an Apartment

To find information about available apartments, you can look in the Immihelp Yellow Pages. the classified sections of newspapers, or rental guides available at various stores. You can also get similar information about the apartments online at places like Move. Ask friends and relatives or people at your job if they know of places to rent. Look for "Apartment Available" or "For Rent" signs on buildings. You can call a local real estate agent, and many can be found in the Immihelp Yellow Pages.

People who rent out apartments or homes are called "landlords." They are typically large rental companies. A landlord may ask you to fill out a rental application form to check to see if you have the money to pay the rent. The application form may ask for a Social Security Number and proof that you are working. You can use your

LPR card (or other visa such as an H1, L1) if you do not yet have a Social Security Number. You can also show a pay stub from your job to prove you are working and making money. You may also be asked to pay a small application fee, especially in a hot rental market or in a large complex. If you are not yet working or don't have sufficient income, you may need someone to sign the rental agreement with you. This person is called a "co-signer." If you cannot pay the rent, the co-signer will have to pay the rent for you.

Apartments are generally unfurnished. In other words, they will not come with a bed, mattress, sofa, dining table, etc. If you are going to be in a particular place for a short duration, like a few months on a company project, it may be a good idea to explore the option of a furnished apartment.

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: