Credit portal




What is council tax?

what council tax band is my flat

Last updated: 03/09/2015 Subscribe

Council tax is a tax set by your local authority in order to meet their budget requirements. The money collected by Cornwall Council helps to fund the services it provides together with those services provided by your local Parish Councils and the Devon and Cornwall Police and Crime Commissioner.

Please see council tax bands and band reductions  to find details of council tax bands in Cornwall and discounts available. There is also information on council tax for 2015  including how it is spent and how the budget is set.

For more information regarding the services Devon and Cornwall Police and Crime Commissioner provide, please contact the Devon and Cornwall Police on 01392 225555 or Email:

The paying for local services leaflet  shows the breakdown of the costs of services and how the Council budget is made up.

Do I have to pay Council Tax?

Most dwellings have a liability to pay Council Tax. One bill is issued for each dwelling whether it is a house, bungalow, flat, maisonette, studio, mobile home, caravan

or houseboat, irrelevant of ownership or rental of the property. Council Tax bills are issued in March every year.

Self Service

Revenues and Benefits self service will be unavailable intermittently during the weekend of 5/6th September whilst essential maintenance is carried out. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused

Our Self Service pages give you instant on line access to manage and view your council tax account

  • See full details of your account
  • How your charges are worked out
  • Check your discounts and allowances
  • See when your payments are due
  • View bills and letters we send to you (paperless e-billing)
  • Set up a Direct Debit or make a payment
  • Notify the Council you are moving

Who is liable?

In most instances it is the resident who is liable. However there are exceptions where this is not the case or where there is no one resident in the dwelling.

For more information, please contact the revenues section using the contact details shown on this page

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: