Tax Calendar and Last Day to File Taxes in 2014
No big surprises this year. The last day to file taxes in 2014, for the 2013 tax year, is April 15, 2014 .
In the past it’s been pushed back a day this because of the way the weekend falls and because of a holiday. For instance, three years ago Emancipation Day got in the way of the tax filing deadline. It happened again in 2012. Two years ago, the weekend pushed the date back to the 16th, but that was Emancipation day. So, since Washington D.C. is on holiday, the tax deadline was pushed back to the 17th.
But not this year. For 2014 you won’t be able to enjoy your extra two days. So get to the post office early if you still file a paper return.
Here are some more tax deadlines in 2014:
- March 17, 2014 – Last day for corporations to file their 2013 taxes using Forms 1120, 1120A, and 1120S. They can also file an extension using Form 7004.
- April 15, 2014 – Last day to file 2013 taxes as an individual. Extension Form 4868 should be filed if you can’t complete your return on this date. Payment needs to be made though.
- May 15, 2014 – Last day for non-profits to file their 2013 Form 990.
- September 15, 2014 – Last day for corporations to file extended
- October 15, 2014 – Last day for individuals to file extended returns.
Let’s hope that we don’t have another delay from the IRS this year due to last minute tax law changes enacted by Congress. This page will be updated if there are any delays in dates of return acceptance by the IRS.
Where To File Your Tax Return
- TurboTax – TurboTax offers free online filing for federal tax returns as well as discounted software for more extensive returns. Every year I’ve filed my tax returns, I’ve used TurboTax and the process has been extremely simply.
- H&R Block – H&R Block is better known for their brick and mortar branches, but now they’ve amassed a fantastic online option. Whether you need a free federal file, deluxe or business package, H&R Block can deliver. And from now until the end of tax season, they’re offering 25% off their services.
- FreeTaxUSA – Owned by TaxHawk, FreeTaxUSA was founded in 2001 and has been provided free federal tax returns for over a decade. There is no fee for returning users to roll over previous years tax data and the costs for state or deluxe filers is much lower than other sites ($12.95 / $5.95 respectfully).
Are you planning on filing as soon as possible or waiting until the 15th of April?Source: ptmoney.com