What do muffler tips do
Date Published : July 30,2014
How To Select The Right Muffler
The muffler serves to minimize the noise produced by the engine. It is also needed to lessen emissions, so your vehicle can pass state-required smog tests. For a muffler to function properly for a long period of time, it has to be made of durable material, such as aluminum, fiber glass, or steel wool.
More Power or Less Noise?
A standard muffler reduces the noise coming from the engine, but it usually impacts the performance of a vehicle. Its design consists of a backbox that has chambers and cylinders where the pressure waves are bounced around. These chambers and cylinders are like finely tuned musical instruments. They are made to reflect the sound waves generated by the engine in a way that they cancel each other out. However, standard mufflers cause an increase of back pressure, which results in lower engine efficiency.
But, there is a high performance muffler that is made up of a straight steel pipe with perforations. With its design, hardly any backpressure is created. It's just that this component only cancels a little bit of the engine's sound. Because of this, it was called a "cherry bomb." This kind of
muffler is commonly used in hot rods and vintage vehicles.
Different Types of Mufflers
There are several muffler designs to choose from. But, be sure that the one you pick can directly fit your automobile. Here are different types of mufflers:
- Spiral Baffle Muffler - for regular automobiles, has a spiral-shaped baffle system.
- Vector Muffler - for bigger diesel trucks, makes use of several concentric cones.
- Aero Turbine Muffler - produces partial vacuums at precisely spaced out time intervals to create negative back pressure. It efficiently takes out the exhaust from combustion cylinders.
- Split, Delay, Merge Muffler - uses detouring pipes for practically no back pressure and adjustable exhaust sound.
- Flowmaster Muffler - has a less constricting construction than a normal stock resonator muffler.
- Corsa Performance Muffler. combines straight-through and resonating technology to eliminate noise and enhance efficiency.
So, determine what you want to get from a muffler to be able to pick the best one for your ride.
How Much Does It Cost?
You can find OEM-quality mufflers that are as low as 15 USD. There are also ones that are sold for more than 800 USD. The majority of aftermarket replacement mufflers are between 50 to 300 USD.Source: www.autopartswarehouse.com