Credit portal




I mistakenly filed my income tax return twice. Do I need to tell the state and federal tax authorities that this was a mistake?

what happens if i file my taxes twice

Posted August 26, 2013 4:39pm

Rex Wenstrom HalversonRichard Gordon Stack

Posted August 26, 2013 7:19pm

Your filing of duplicate returns for 2007 with the IRS and the FTB will probably have no legal effect, since you already previously filed those returns. A taxpayer is allowed to file only one return per taxable year. Any subsequent return that a taxpayer files must be an amended return (i.e. Form 1040X or 540X) or else the taxing authorities will likely reject such submissions as "not processable."

That having been said, as the other counsel have stated, it wouldn't be a bad idea to contact the taxing authorities and/or send them a letter, stating that you filed the duplicate returns

in error and that such returns should be disregarded. On the extremely outside chance that you do receive refunds from the IRS and/or the FTB (as the statute of limitations for obtaining a refund has almost certainly expired by now), you should promptly return such amounts to the taxing authorities so that they don't seek to hold you liable for receipt of erroneous refunds.

The answer to this question does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Moreover, this attorney is licensed to practiced law ONLY in the State of California. Answers to questions from users in other jurisdictions or states are meant to provide only general information. Users should contact a local attorney in their jurisdiction or state to address their specific tax issue.

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: