Credit portal




What Documents Do I Need to Bring to My Accountant?

what i need for taxes

By William Perez. Tax Planning: U.S. Expert

William Perez has worked as a tax professional since 2004. He earned the enrolled agent designation by passing a comprehensive examination on federal taxes and maintains his credential by taking continuing education classes.

You can make the most of your meeting with a tax accountant by bringing all the documents needed to prepare your tax return. Basically, you need to bring identification, income documents (W-2 and 1099 forms), and expense documents.

The IRS and state tax agencies are increasingly cracking down on people who claim the same dependent more than once, such as estranged parents both claiming the same child.

Continue Reading Below

Tax preparers increasingly will ask that you provide Social Security cards for yourself and for each dependent. This helps eliminate electronic filing errors by making sure the name and Social Security Number matches the IRS records for each person on the tax return.

You also need to bring documents to show all your income for the year. These documents may include:

  • W-2s from

    your employers,

  • 1099-MISC forms for self-employment income,
  • 1099-INT (interest) and 1099-DIV (dividends) forms,
  • 1099-B forms showing brokerage trades in stocks and bonds,
  • K-1 forms for income from a partnership, small business, or trust,
  • 1099-SSA form showing Social Security received.

Expense Documentation

Be sure to bring written documents for additional income not reported on a W-2 or 1099 form, such as other self-employment income, rental income, or alimony. This could be a spreadsheet, bank statements, or other written evidence.

Bring canceled checks, receipts, or spreadsheets for any tax-related expenses. This may include contributions to your traditional or SEP-IRA, moving expenses, college expenses, medical and dental expenses, real estate taxes, gifts to charities and churches, and daycare or childcare costs.

Continue Reading Below

Some expenses are reported to you. Mortgage interest, for example, is reported to you on form 1098, and student loan interest is reported on form 1098-E.

If you paid estimated taxes, bring a summary of your federal and state estimated payments and canceled checks.

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: