Credit portal




Didn't file income tax last year will you still get refund this year?

what if i didn t file my taxes last year


Answered Last

That depends.

If you didn't overpay your taxes through withholding or other means, you won't get a refund.

If you were not required to file a tax return in 2007 and are due a refund, there is no reason you shouldn't get it.

If you had income in 2007 that the IRS is aware of (say because it was reported on a W-2 or 1099) and that was sufficient to require the filing of a 2007 return, your refund may be held up until the 2007 issue is resolved.

If you meant to ask "Is there still time for me to get a 2007 refund?" the answer is an emphatic yes. All you have to do is fill out your 2007 tax forms and mail them in. It's really that simple.

Even if you didn't file a 2007 tax return,

you should file a 2008 tax return on time if you are required to file for 2008. A lot of people, for one reason or another, neglect to file a tax return for a year or two. They then become scared and stop filing tax returns for future years. Even if you missed a return in the past, you should file this year's return on time. Each and every year you miss is a separate offense and subject to a whole new set of additional possible penalties. Not filing for 2008 will not help your problems from past years. In fact, it will compound your problems and make them orders of magnitude worse.

If you should have filed taxes in 2007 or you were owed a refund from 2007, file your 2007 taxes now. And regardless of what you do about 2007, file your 2008 taxes on time.

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: