Credit portal





what if i filed the wrong tax form

Filed itr using a wrong itr form

by SATYANARAYANA REDDY P on 27 June 2013

I recently filed my IT returns for the AY 2013-14. I made a mistake by choosing a wrong ITR form. As per the new rules from IT department people who have tax exempt income of more than Rs.5000 should fill ITR 2 instead of ITR 1, but I filed my returns using ITR 1 form. I sent the ITR - V to the Income Tax Department - CPC and got an acknowledgement that my ITR - V is receieved. Is this a big mistake? If yes, please help me to rectify this mistake.

by CA PARAS BAFNA on 27 June 2013

This is the mistake of department which has prescribed a criteria of exempt income below Rs. 5000/- for ITR-1. From your side it is a small mistake and if pointed out later by the alert computers of CPC, it can be rectified.

by SATYANARAYANA REDDY P on 27 June 2013

Thank you sir. This means as of now I can take rest. If there is any discrepancy communicated to me by CPC then I will

get the chance to rectify it. Am I right?

by CA.Vinita Gupta on 27 June 2013

I think you can file a revised return to avoid discrepancies at a future date. Though its a small mistake it wud b better if u rectify it at ur end since you are aware of the mistake

by Ganeshbabu K on 27 June 2013

In my opinion it cannot be revised. but it can be rectified. Revised return can be filed under section 139(5) only if the assessee discovers any wrong statement in return originally filed. here form it self choosen wrongly so it has to be rectified only. so it is defective can be rectified..and it cannot be revised Thanks & regards Ganesh babu k

by B.Chackrapani Warrier on 28 June 2013

As you said, it is a mistake. But, filed return form in ITR-1 will not become invalid by virtue of section 292B. CPC can treat that return as 'defective' and if so, cure the defect according to the direction of CPC.

You need to be the querist or approved CAclub expert to take part in this query .

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: