Credit portal




What if i mess up my taxes

what if i mess up my taxes


You can do the so called amendment of your tax return by filing the 1040x form,

Simply do the following:

Save the original tax return and call it file 1

Create another return and call it file 2 where you have to add in to it the missing or forgetton income

How are we supposed to know how you prepared your income tax return.

#1 if you failed to report some income on the original filed income tax return then to correct the any errors that have been made on the original filed income tax return you will have to use the 1040X amended individual income tax return for this purpose of correcting the errors.

#2 What do you mean when you say considered as a dependent and you said that on your income tax return.

Does that mean that you did check the box that is page 1 of the 1040 income tax return indicating that you were being claimed as a dependent on another taxpayers income tax return for the tax year?

And So for the exemption line on your own income tax return the number was -0- ZERO.

And the line for your exemption amount was also -0- is that correct?

If that was NOT the way it was done by you yes you have messed it up bad for your mother because she will now have to fill out her 1040 income tax return correctly and completely claiming you as her qualifying child dependent and sign the income tax return and mail it to the correct IRS address and then she will have to wait quiet a while for the IRS to contact you for some information and also probably her before they will be able to complete the processing of her income tax return and get the refund amount to her so this could take 8 to weeks are more of time before she will ever get her correct refund amount.

To correct an error that has been made on the original filed 1040 federal income tax return you would use the below enclosed information for this purpose.

Form 1040X will be

your new tax return, changing your original return to include new information. The entries you make on Form 1040X under the columns headed Correct Amount and Correct Number or Amount are the entries you would have made on your original return had it been done correctly.

Many find the easiest way to figure the entries for Form 1040X is to first make the changes in the margin of the return you are amending.

To complete Form 1040X, you will need:

* Form 1040X and these separate instructions;

* A copy of the return you are amending (for example, 2008 Form 1040A), including supporting forms, schedules, and any worksheets you completed;

* Notices from the IRS on any adjustments to that return; and

* Instructions for the return you are amending. If you don't have the instructions, you can order them by calling 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676) or find them online at If you are amending a prior year return, click on “Forms and Publications,” then “Previous years.”

Purpose of Form

Go to the website and use the search box for 1040X and then choose the instructions

Form 1040X (Rev. January 2010)

Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return

Tax Topic 308, Amended Returns

An amended return must be filed on a paper Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, and correctly completed and signed and print 2 copies 1 for your records and 1 to be mailed to the IRS at the address specified in the instructions to Form 1040X. You may submit the form after the IRS processes your original return.

Allow the IRS 8-12 weeks to process the Amended Return

Go to the website and use the search box for Free Tax Return Preparation for You by Volunteers

Go to your state website page and use the search box for FREE INCOME TAX ASSISTANCE and you should be able to find some free face to face assistance with your income tax returns.

Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful and good luck to you with this great learning experience that you are entering into for this income tax season.

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: